If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, September 03, 2012

Constructive Destruction



I've been going to Goodwill every week or so to check out sweaters to deconstruct, felt, or otherwise re-purpose. Most of the time, I'm looking for 100% wool. But when I saw this sweater, I knew I had to get it.

It's a wool blend and the sweater will fit no one I know. Frankly, it would probably be too warm of a sweater for anyone to wear. But look at the color! It's fantastic! It's like the lovechild of a roll of Lifesavers and a sheep!


And it was half off so, really, I had no choice but to buy it.




The hard part of this process was taking the sweater apart. Apparently the textile worker who assembled it (It's a hand knit, so the label says.) did not want it to ever come apart. Look at this shoulder seam. It's seamed and backstitched and the ends are knotted and woven in.

No, Mr. Scissors! No cutting! I've got this!


Once I got beyond the shoulder seams, it went more smoothly. Of course, it probably would have gone even smoother if I had not broken my glasses a few weeks ago... (Oh, don't be sad. It's not like I ever wore them, anyway.) But glasses definitely would have helped me see those seaming stitches.

Luckily for me, it was all stockingette stitch, with a little bit of ribbing at the bottom. So it all frogged out nicely. I think it looks kinda cool, all kinky like this.



And here is some of it, tied up and ready to wash and dry.

Not sure what I will do with this. I want to do something that really shows off the color. Ah, well. It will have to wait until the Christmas knitting is done anyway.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter