If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How 'Bout Some Dichroic Glass?

Every year at Gencon, the lovely ladies of CATS teach classes on all kinds of crafty things. I always try to do at least one of them, and this year, I got to do two.

The first one I did was the Dichroic Glass Bracelet class. You'll remember last year, M and I did the Dichroic Glass Pendant class? We did two, a black version and an amber version.

Dichroic glass is really cool. Basically, dichroic is two-color glass. You are putting the dichroic glass onto the colored glass and covering it with clear glass. Then these fine ladies melt them all together in a kiln and you get this:

Pretty cool, eh? I wore my black pendant on Thursday to Gencon and had about twenty people stop and ask me where I got it.

Anyway, so I decided to make a semi-matching bracelet this year. The technique is a little different than the pendant. Basically, for such a small piece, we used multi-colored crushed glass--or frit--instead of the shiny dichroic chunks we used on the pendants. My bracelet will be a blue/black color. M decided to make one in a turquoise/orange colorway. (They called it "goldfish".)

Since my bracelet colors were darker colors, the frit is sandwiched between two pieces of clear glass. M's colors are a lot lighter. Her frit was "cupcaked" on top of two pieces of clear glass.

I got a little frustrated with myself because the first piece of glass I cut, I shattered. My fault, completely. I scored it just fine, but I didn't try to break it with the scored side up. I basically need to wear glasses. That's what it comes down to.

Anyway, I was able to get a new piece of glass and M was kind enough to help me cut it. And I got all my frit in place, even if I was the last one finished.

These cabochons are now at the CATS studio, being fired. I can't wait to see how they turn out. I made 15 of these stones. Eleven will go on the bracelet. Two will become earrings. One will become a ring. (Which I also learned to do!) And one will become a pendant. Not sure what I will do with the remaining one.

Thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter