If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Not Knitting: Solidarity Pendant



Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are so much fun. I found this one (Solidarity) a while back and kept it. This artwork really just cried out to be made into a charm. (Oh, I guess this picture would make more sense if you could see the front of the card. Whoops.)

Anyway, I gathered up my trusty materials--Mod Podge, MP Dimension Magic, scissors, toothpicks, paintbrush, and a dead gift card to recycle for the back. I had this idea of painting the gift card silver, cutting it to fit, and attaching the Yu-Gi-Oh! card to it. But then I decided to cut the pieces first (and here you can see not only the solidarity back, but the back for a couple of other charms I am making) and spray paint them flat black.

I chose flat black over gloss because A) I always have flat black here at the house and B) I'm hoping that the glossy card, over the flat black, covered with glossy Dimension Magic will add some depth there.



I trimmed Solidarity down to just the artwork, coated the back in Mod Podge and centered it on the black piece. Then I smoothed on a couple of coats of Mod Podge to seal it and covered the whole thing with Dimension Magic. DM, by the way, is a fantastic product! I love this stuff. The only thing you really have to watch for is getting air bubbles on the top. But, that's what the toothpick is for, right? Herding bubbles off the edge.





I glued a bale to back and strung it onto a cord, and viola! Yu-Gi-Oh! players will recognize it as a card, others will just think it's a bunch of cute little monsters holding hands. But you and I know, it represents friendship and unity.

Huzzah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter