If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Zara In The Midnight Moonlight

Ooh. That's clever, isn't it? Because it's a Zara scarf knitted in Midnight Moonlight. See what I did there?

Remember I told you that I picked up some of the Red Heart Boutique Midnight yarn in Ohio? By some weird coincidence I had just seen it the week before and really admired the Moonlight color and then, there it was, on clearance in that exact color.

When the universe throws something like that at me, I take it as a sign that I should just go ahead and buy the yarn.

So, since Sunday is my game night (and I can't knit any of the afghans because all of those people are sitting at the table with me) and since I must knit while gaming or become severely disruptive, I decided to do something with this Midnight Moonlight. Luckily, I found a pattern for Zara, a mitered scarf with pompom ends.

I found the pattern on Ravelry and thought it would be perfect for game night. It's a two row pattern (and one of the rows is "knit all stitches") so it's simple enough to do without taking my attention off the game. It's from Yarn Tree Designs, but they don't appear to have it up on their site yet. They do have a couple of other very nice patterns, so if you get a chance, check them out. I'm sure Zara will be posted soon.

I didn't get a whole lot done because, even though my hands don't necessarily hurt any more, they don't have the stamina they had before this bout of carpal tunnel (or whatever it is that turns my hands into painful, tingling, claws). So, I did take several short breaks in which I (gasp) put the knitting down.

Plus, it was Game Night, so I do have to pay attention to the game. Sheesh. (Seriously, though, the game is really fun. It's an RPG adventure in Unisystem that R created--the adventure, not Unisystem--for our group. I play a werewolf.)

Midnight is a great yarn for this pattern. I knitted this on #7 needles, and it is exactly as wide as the pattern lists it and it has a beautiful drape and texture.(Even though the pattern does call for a bulky yarn on #7 needles.) Midnight is a chain-plied yarn, so the color changes are subtle. The metallic thread is not overwhelming. I'd call it just enough.

I wanted to give you a better idea of how the colors change, so this picture is shot in bright light. In real life, the color is much darker.

As I was knitting, M looked across the table at the pattern and the developing scarf and slyly raised her eyebrows--the unspoken question, "Is that for me?" Oh no. I quickly shook my head. This one is for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter