If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shopping Trip: More New Yarns I'd Like To Try

With my gimpy hands, all I can do these days is think about yarn. (As opposed to knitting yarn. I mean, of course I can do other things... I'm not completely immobilized. I can function in my daily life. I just can't knit without pain. That's what I meant.)

So this is my latest visit to Michael's, and some of the new yarns I liked there.


I found this Impeccable Glitter right off. Now, I'll admit I tend to be a magpie sometimes, (Oooh! Sparkly!) so it's no surprise this caught my eye. I didn't purchase any this day, mainly because I can't knit and I didn't want to buy it and then have it just sit there and mock me--Knit me, Patwoman. Why won't you knit me?--but I think I'd like to pick up some for some fun, sparkly winter accessories.

This is Mirror. It's black, with a multi-colored sparkly effect. I tend to gravitate toward the dark side, I guess. There were other colors, including a white, which had a opalescent sort of sparkle to it, and Blue Diamond, a deep blue on blue. I think Gold, a cream color with gold metallic sparkle, would make an excellent Christmas stocking.


I am also a fan of ruffled yarns. They are definitely on my list to try. (I actually have some LB Ruffles in the stash calling my name right now. What? What's that, yarn? You want me to come and knit you? Oh, God damn my carpal tunnel syndrome.)


This is Starbella from Premier Yarns, a wide-ruffle yarn. Again, I've chosen the darker blue yarn to take a picture of. This color is called Canyon Sunrise. Michael's didn't have a sample of this yarn as it would be knitted, but I took a good look at it.

The fabric is more open and lacy than, say, LB Ruffles is. I think that will make it easier to knit (since you would have holes already there to poke the needle through) than the LB version. But, the ruffles themselves will have a completely different look to them than a more solid ruffle yarn.

Speaking of a different look...


This is Loops & Threads Flaunt. It's a weird looking yarn on the skein. Looks almost like a ladder yarn and a ribbon had a baby and named it Flaunt. It's not as wide as most of the ruffle yarns I've seen but it has a lot more body to it.

Michael's had a scarf knitted up, using Flaunt. The pattern is on their site. It looks fantastic. Ruffles on both sides, and the short color changes give it a really fun, unique look.

As I have not actually tried a ruffle yarn, I'm only guessing, but I believe a scarf would be very quick to work up using one of these. I'm looking forward to making some for gifts, and for myself.

If my hands will only cooperate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter