If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Shh... Spoilers!

Now that would be a great title for a post about Dr. Who, wouldn't it? Too bad I'm really going to talk about spoilers.

As you know, T and I work 7 days a week. That means most of the TV we watch is recorded and watched later. God Bless whoever invented DVR. By logical extension, that means sometimes we are behind an episode on a show. So I guess you could say it's our own fault when this happens, but I think it's just a matter of manners.

Here's what happened. We went to dinner with a group of people that included friends and friends of friends. During the dinner conversation, one of the friends of friends started talking about a television show he enjoyed. Which was fine because T and I watch it too. (But T fell asleep in the middle of us watching the one before last and neither of us have watched the most recent episode yet.)

That's what I said. "I love that show. We're not caught up on it, so don't spoil anything." And punctuated this with a laugh. No one else had even heard of the show, so there was really no reason for this guy to be so specific.

So then this person proceeded to talk about the show, giving away key points, plot twists, surprises, and a very big surprise that apparently happened in the most recent episode. All of this while brushing off my protests of "Don't spoil anything." with "Oh, I know. But it was just such a shock to realize that (so-and-so) was actually (such-and-such) all along! And you don't find it out until (so-and-so does that thing that you never expected)."

See? I didn't spoil a damn thing. That's because I have manners, damn it.

This is not the first time this has happened or the first person to do it. In fact, every time Game of Thrones comes up at the store, I have to tell people "I don't want to hear anything about the book. AT ALL. The thing I love most about this show is its ability to surprise me with things I didn't see coming. DO NOT tell me anything at all."

Unfailingly, that person will say, "Yes, I know, but in the book..." NO! I don't want to hear it! I just told you that. "I'm just trying to tell you that, even though he's a bad guy now, later on, when he..." NO! What are you not understanding about no? "Once he gets his..." OH, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

And these people will follow me around trying to spoil the show for me. Not because they are being mean, I think, but because they somehow feel that justifying their opinion of a character using what they have read in later books is more important than the pleasure I have already stated I get from being surprised by the story.

People. Seriously. Shh! Spoilers!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter