If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, August 02, 2013

At Last! Something I'm Good At Can Benefit Mankind!

Check this out. Discovery News did a little bit (ha!) on surprising uses for urine. I have to say, I was a little surprised at one.

Scientist in China have found a way to take the cells that are flushed out in urine and create brain cells out of them. These brain cells can be programmed (theoretically) to repair damaged portions of the brain and eventually provide treatment for diseases like Alzheimer's disease. Now that's interesting.

And a little scary. Think about this. What if you take human pee, make human cells, and use them in a chimpanzee? Or vice versa? What if you mix human pee with chimp pee and make cells from that? What if you take a big pee bucket full of two different animal's pee and you make cells to implant in a human brain?

What if you implanted the pee-brain cells of one person into another person and that person started having memories of committing horrible crimes until it was driving him--literally--crazy? (That's a Syfy Movie in the making, right there. Are you listening, The Asylum? You're welcome.)

I'm just messing with you. I don't know if any of that is even possible. It seems like the kind of cells you would get in pee would be specific to that species, at least. And they certainly wouldn't carry donor memories any more than, say, a blood donation would.

But what do I know? I got my science degree from... Oh wait a minute. I didn't get a science degree! So, as far as I know, this is all completely plausible!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter