If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

I Have This Fantasy...

No, not the one where I'm watching Mateo, the sexy Latin pool boy... The summer sweat creating an alluring sheen across his tanned, muscular torso... (But that is a good one, thanks for reminding me.)

No, today, my fantasies are a bit more tame. Boring, really. Today, I'm fantasizing about making something so absolutely beautiful that people--even non-knitting people--are amazed by it. "You made that?" They sigh as they touch it. "No way!"

"Oh yes." I say. "I certainly did."

Yeah, that's a fantasy. And at this particular moment, it's even more exciting than the fantasy that I'm dressed as a cowgirl, standing atop a speeding train, twirling my lasso over my head, as a hundred shirtless Marlboro Men (minus the cigs) cheer me on, waving their giant loaves of french bread at me as I thunder past...

Huh? What? Oh, sorry. I was somewhere else for a moment... What was I talking about?

Oh yeah. I don't know what it is these days. I'm just getting bored with what I'm doing. Maybe it's because I am working on so many long-form projects at once? Sweaters. Novel. Movie script. I find I keep having to switch to something quick--a hat, a scarf, a 5K word story--or I lose my momentum. I seem to go slower and slower.

Do I like what I'm doing? With the writing, yeah. I'm very happy with what I've got going. But the knitting... I don't know. I want the finished product. I'm just not sure I'm enjoying the process right now.

Chaos is just cable, cable, cable, CABLE, FRACK! If I have to do another cable I might do some serious harm to the world! And now... At this rate, I'm not even going to be done with the frackin' thing until summer. How do you like that? The one person who really, really likes my knitting, who really appreciates the work and the love that goes into one... And I haven't knitted anything for him in a while, so this is long anticipated... And it's something very special, just for him... And I just want to GRRRRRR-OOOOWWWF-RAAAARRH! CABLES!!!!

Okay, I'm back now.

Can you see my frustration here? Likewise, the Textured Raglan is giving me the flaming jimjams. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I am just braindead when it comes to doing the yoke of this sweater. It's not like I haven't done sweaters in the round. It's not like I've never joined the sleeves and then did raglan decreases. Ye Gods! I've done this for years! Why do I keep messing the fracking thing up?

Back to the fantasy... No, not the sexy hardbody brushing my hair as I soak in a luxurious bubble bath... the one about the knitting.

Hm. I can't remember what that was, just now, for some reason. Oh, whatever. I think I'll go take a bubble bath now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter