If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, March 28, 2008

I Do Finish Things... Sometimes

Actually, I finished all of these things some time ago, but I wanted to show them to you.

Remember when I said M wanted a bunch of scarves this season, in all colors and styles? Well, this was a little something I knitted up, just to be different from all the others. I'd used all of this yarn in other scarves, so I had less than a skein of each color.

Normally I would do a feather and fan stitch, alternating different color stripes, but both M and I wanted something a little different.

Braided Scarf

(Takes about 80 yds of 3 different colors/textures)
Purple/Pink scarf is Mosaic Twist, Luscious, Playful
Black/White scarf is Luscious, Fancy Fur, Playful
Red/Black scarf is Luscious, Playful, Luscious Sparkle
Size 10 1/2 Needles

Cast On 6-8 stitches (depending on yarn)
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl

Repeat Rows 1 & 2 until piece measures about 5-6 feet. You'll lose about a quarter of the length when you braid, so you judge.

When you have 3 equal pieces, sew all three together at one end. Then braid them. Just like braiding your armpit hair. Only easier. When it's all braided, sew that end together, too.

Then make a couple of tassels. I wrapped all three yarns around my hand about 6 times, then tied them all together at the top of my hand and cut them apart at the bottom of my hand. Then I wrapped a strand of yarn around the top third to make the tassel top and tied it off.

Sew one tassle to each end.

Later, I made myself one, in black and white, because--you know--I was feeling philosophical that day. I wore it to work and a coworker mentioned how much she loved that scarf. Well, I always make scarves for my coworkers for Christmas and I hadn't made hers yet, so I asked, "What colors do you like?" She said, "Oh, red, black. Anything."

So I made this one, which I think is pretty neat. Very striking color combo, I must say. Ah, but I don't think she liked it. When I gave it to her, she thanked me, and said she really wanted one more like the one I'd done for another coworker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter