If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Continuous Learning, Episode 1

So the problem with knitting for 28 or so years is, you think you know how to do everything. It’s an old dog/new tricks sort of thing. So I’ve decided to do some things this year that I don’t normally do.

Like Illusion Knitting.

Okay. This is not a new skill for me. I’ve actually done this before. But it’s been a long time and I really wanted to try it again.


So, Step One was to graph out my design. Remember that each row of the pattern is actually four rows of knitting. (But I just made the chart like a regular chart and knit the extra rows as I went.) I made some Excel graph paper with rectangles instead of squares and free-handed the pattern. I thought I was really clever.

Oh, I was clever alright. So clever I graphed the knit stitches badly. So I ended up with a waaaaaay stretched out design. I actually even thought I might fix it by just taking out a row or two.

But that’s really not a solution.

So, I've frogged. And I will have to start this thing over. That's been the theme for 2011 so far: frog. And I guess I've proved that new tricks thing wrong, because I've learned something.

And I taught my cat some really spicy swear words in the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter