If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Sunday, May 06, 2012

A Reader Explains The Gnomes

First, let me clarify that I love these gnomes. I love the way they look (even if they don't have any faces yet). I love the pattern. I love the way they taste.

No. Just kidding. I don't eat yarn. (Any more.)

But I did express much confusion over what the heck a gnome has to do with Christmas. And Lintulai helped me clear up the confusion by having me do a little research.

There. You see? I have always told my kids that it was very important to know what you're talking about before you start talking, very important to do your own independent research. And now you see why. If I had just asked my friend, Professor Google, about the importance of gnomes in Finnish Christmas lore... But no. I just started talking before I knew what I was talking about.

Hear me, kids. Do as I say. Not as I do.

Anyway, I found tons of info on the role of the gnome in Christmas. (Go Google it yourself, but basically, gnomes take care of the household and people all year and then they bring Christmas presents to your children!) I love the story of the gnomes!

Of course, that took me on a wonderful Google safari, in which I learned a great many things about Christmas traditions, Finland, and ancient Nordic lore. So it was a pretty good day for me. I will put some of my new-found knowledge to good use.

For example, I love the Finnish tradition of putting out food for the birds on Christmas. I think I will adopt that idea for our own holiday tradition. I also like The Declaration of Peace.

I also love--and I know some people will disagree with me, that's okay--when traditions combine with other cultures' traditions. The blending of the Nordic lore and Christian lore makes something very cool to me.

I want to do some more research now on all different kinds of traditional lore--how about ghost stories or monster stories? Anyone know any good Finnish ghost or monster stories?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter