If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Thursday, February 07, 2013

If I Were In The Middle Of A Zombiepocalypse

I read this article a while back but, since T and I have been having so many discussions about how stupid the living folks on The Walking Dead are being, I thought I'd mention this school bus.

So, this is a school bus that has been converted into a camper. It's pretty nice, as far as campers go. I, personally, do not camp. I like to sleep in a warm, soft, spider-free bed. But, if I were forced to go camping (like in a zombiepocalypse) I think this wouldn't be bad.

Of course, in an actual zombiepocalypse, you'd want to lose those most of those windows and make the door a little more secure.

I seriously do not understand why Rick and the gang tend to sleep outside so often. The one thing I would definitely not do in a zombie-infested world is sleep outside, unprotected. But that's just me.

I never would have left Atlanta if I were Rick. I would have secured a floor of one of those apartment buildings, then worked my way through the rest of the building, securing it as I went. I would go so far as to take out the stairs one the first floor. You could always make some sort of drop down ladder, right? (Oh, and you'd want to shut off the gas line pretty much first thing. If 28 Days Later has taught us anything, it's that the gas lines will blow up right away.)

But, then you'd have a whole apartment building, filled with food, clothing, medicine (presumeably), books (maybe), weapons (probably), and comfortable, non-spidery, indoor beds. You could set up a water collection and filtration system and a garden on the roof, and also shoot or trap birds for meat. Yeah, I know those birds would be pigeons and they are probably not very tasty to eat, but right now Rick's group is eating squirrel and that's probably not much better.

At least pigeon would be white meat, right? A little healthier?

Eventually, you might take a neighboring building in the same way. Then, you could build a bridge or a pully system from one building to another. It would give you yet another escape route, another place to fall back to (destroying the bridge would secure that entrance), and you could gradually take back the city.

It's estimated that in The Walking Dead, the walkers outnumber the living 5,000 to 1. So I think you need to do something to get yourself out of the middle of them. From above, you could dispatch zombies with relative safety--shooting them with arrows, dropping things on them, shooting with guns, etc. And, you could set off car alarms like crazy to herd them where you wanted them.

And you'd want to kill them off, not just for your own safety, but for survival, as well. We know from several episodes that the walkers eat animals. Deer, Rick's horse... So, left unchecked, they will eat all the meat.

One other safety feature of living in a building--the show has implied the walkers don't have any sort of super-zombie-powers of detection. They only know a living person is around if they see or hear them, right? So, once in the building, it becomes an out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing. Sure, there will still be a ton of walkers on the street, but they would not be actively trying to get you. And with the first floor stairs gone, they might ramble around in the lobby, but that's it.

Of course, the worst thing about being in a hot city like Atlanta filled with rotting corpses...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter