If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

No More Flirting With Disaster

I finally got my Rx refilled for my blood pressure and potassium. I knew you'd be happy to hear that. It's been kind of a chore, really. And kind of a surprise. Here's what happened.

I'm at the end of my bp pills before I realize, Hey no refills. It's okay. I'll call the dr. for an appointment and miss maybe only a couple of pills, right? (I try not to think about it, since I don't want my bp to shoot up at the thought of having high blood pressure. Vicious cycle, that.)

So I call my doctor's office--hands down, the worst doctors office in the civilized world, under normal conditions--and I'm told my doctor is no longer there. Not there. Not at any other practice. None of the other doctors are accepting her patients. No refills, even to give you time to find a new doctor.

Now, normally, I would be upset. I would normally think the office should have given patients a little warning. Or the doctor should have. Like a postcard saying something like "You should start trying to find a new doctor now so you're not fucked when you go to schedule your next appointment."

But, you know. This is pretty typical of my doctor's office. This is the office that makes you schedule an appointment two weeks in advance but then cancels at the last minute. Or you get to sit in the waiting room for two hours. Or they can't find your chart. Or they schedule appointments for sleep study--even though you have said, specifically, that you are not interested in a sleep study--without your knowledge and you only find out about it when the sleep study place calls you.

It's the doctor's office that calls you and tells you your potassium levels are dangerously low and you need an Rx. But they can't tell you what dangerously low means or if you need to leave work and take the Rx now or if you just need to start taking the Rx regularly from now on. It's the doctor's office that can't understand why a person cannot just change their schedule at a moment's notice, that people have other obligations to fulfill even though the doctor's appointment is important, that's why they scheduled an appointment in the first place.

Ugh. What was that about not getting my bp up?

Anyway, I'm not sorry to be at a new doctor. I should have done it a long time ago, it was just a matter of not really having time to research doctors (until, I guess something like this happens and you need to). So, it's all fine now. And I'm taking my bp med (and getting up to pee 8 or 9 times a night, thanks) again and taking my potassium (no more charley horse legs and arms, and hopefully no heart stoppage).

The potassium pills cause me to have crazy dreams if I take them before bed. With the crazy dreams I've been having lately, I can't wait to see how the bar gets raised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter