If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, August 23, 2013

I'm De-evolving

I think you can guess by my posts that I'm just really busy these days. As a consequence, I try to save time in as many ways as I possibly can. Like, I prep as much as I can, at home and at work, so it takes less time to clean up or to get the day started.

That's a good thing.

However, I have started to notice that some of my time-saving methods are--how shall we say?--less than good.

For example, I no longer wear socks. It started out several years ago, when I worked in an office, as 'I no longer wear pantyhose." Sure, that's nothing new. Lots of people don't wear pantyhose. But the way I was raised, if you were over the age of twelve or so and you wore a skirt or a dress, you wore pantyhose. It's old-fashioned, sure. But it's just the way it was. Then, later, as a journalist and later still as an HR Business Partner, it was pretty much mandatory.

But then, I moved into the world of corporate recruiting. And the dress code became so much more casual. Not only was it okay to ditch the pantyhose, but so many other previously not-done things were suddenly okay to do. Like wear open toed shoes. Or sleeveless blouses. Or--gasp--hair accessories. The freedom was astounding.

But I digress. The point is that it's kind of a natural progression for me to not wear socks anymore. Okay, yeah. I know. That's not a good thing. But socks=laundry. And it's summer anyway. And socks are hot. My feet look at socks and say "Nope." And besides. So far, no one has noticed.

I also no longer use most tableware.

Of course, I don't mean to imply that I eat my food from a trough or take nourishment intravenously. (Though, that would save time.) No. I simply don't eat a lot of home-prepared meals any more. I eat takeout, mostly, these days. Straight from the wrapper.

And my Dr. Peppers? I drink them straight from the bottle.

It occurs to me that I am gradually giving up all the accoutrements of civilized society. I am devolving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter