If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Your Brain On Knitting

This is my brain on knitting:

Yes, that's right. When I am knitting, my brain becomes a Thomas Kincaide painting. Or a reasonable facsimile. Apparently, that's not uncommon. Recent studies are confirming the benefits of crafting on our mental states. (You can read the CNN article here.)

Yeah, that's something we've all known, but now that science confirms it, it kind of gives those feelings a stamp of validation, doesn't it? Not that we crafters need validation, right? If we did, we wouldn't keep investing our time, money, and love into knitting stuff for people who don't appreciate it, right? We damn sure wouldn't invest $40 of wool and two weeks of our free time to knit a pair of socks.

Not that I knit socks. Or wear knitted socks. (Or socks of any kind, for that matter.) But, yeah. It's nice that the science backs it up.

I think most knitters and other crafters will tell you that, after a bad day, knitting a couple of inches of anything makes you feel better. Hell, even going to the yarn store or Michael's to pet some soft yarn makes you feel better. I don't know if it's the tactile sensation, the repetetive motions, or just the act of creation, but I've always known it.

So, yes. My brain does become a Thomas Kincaide painting on knitting. Unless I'm working with mohair or boucle. Then it takes its influence from Edvard Munch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter