If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

History

Today the federal court ruled that Indiana's ban on same sex marriage is unconstitutional. Our governor has already issued a statement saying, basically, that he doesn't agree, but since he is lawful, he will abide by the law. I have purposely avoided Facebook because I know it will be filled with all kinds of hate from people I don't really want to fight with.

I know--and don't get me wrong here--they have the right to their opinion. But the name-calling... the hatred... the rude and ignorant remarks... the raw, ugly, venom... I just don't want to hear that. I have the right to not read all that.

But it is a historic event, isn't it? A milestone in our society's evolution. I am so glad I'm here to see it happen. And it makes me think of all the history that I have seen in my lifetime. Things my children's generation take for granted--Civil Rights (and again today), space travel, robotic, artificial intelligence, satellite technology, solar power, microwaves, cell phones, Google (and the internet in general), medical breakthroughs like "smart" prosthetics, the election of an African American President (something some people still can't accept)... It's all so amazing!

I wonder if people really appreciate the weight of the moment? Let me tell you a story... I watched "The Help" a couple of months ago. It was a hard movie to watch because I grew up in that era, and that attitude was not restricted to the deep south, believe me. I remember people that I personally knew saying some of those same things (and I hope it was out of ignorance and not base bigotry) and doing some of those things. I remember segregation, before and after the Civil Rights Act. That movie made me remember so many bad things that I cried through most of it. And what resonated with me as well, was that these same words were being used in today's society--in reference to equality. I wonder if people can see that?

I'm excited by today's decison. I hope that there are many more social and technological advances in the years to come--clean energy, equal rights for everyone, equitable and affordable healthcare for all, more refined robotics, and who knows? Maybe even contact. I hope I get to see these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter