If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Poo Poo Gabby Sweater

I thought Gabgab needed a sweater. She's crazy, you know, so she's licked all the fur off her body. That makes her cold. She sat there, shivvering on my lap, sending me telepathic pleas: I need a sweater, Humom.


It took about 3 and a half hours, total. Probably would've taken less time, but I had to pick out yarns and decide what it should look like. (Telepathic instructions: It should look very, very poo-poo.) And, of course you know, it does take a bit of time to measure a cat.

Poo Poo Gabby Sweater

I used about 1/3 of a skein of Yarn Bee Soft Extreme in a dark pink color held together with Caron Simply Soft in a plum color. (Sorry. Labels are long gone from these.) I also used a little bit of Boa in a pink color, for the trim.

Knit on size 11 circulars (but I am a loose knitter. You will probably want to use a 13.)

Guage: 3 st = 1"


Note: Gabby is a smallish cat, so you will want to adjust the pattern to your cat's specs. I used her pudgy belly as the main measurement to determine how many stitches to cast on. You should use whatever is the biggest part of your cat.

Body
Beginning at lower edge, Cast on 44 stitches, join.
Work in a K1 P1 rib for 11 rows.
Keeping to the Ribbing Pattern, work 25 stitches.
Bind off the next 7 stitches.
Work the next 5 stitches in K1 P1.
Bind off the next 7 stitches. (These two BO areas become the armholes.)
Working on the 25 stitches only, work 8 rows.
Next row: K 2 together across, ending K1.
Cut yarn. Just ignore those stitches. Leave them on the needle.
(This is the tricky part)
Attach yarn after bound off stitches. Then knit the 25 stitches from the back. (This is not tricky to do, only tricky to explain. Since you are working on a circular needle, you will be joining the shoulder, you see?)Join the stitches at the other shoulder, and continue to knit 2 rows.
Cut yarn and attach Boa yarn. Knit 1 row and bind off very loosely.

Sleeves
Pick up and knit 22 stitches around armhole, from right side. Work in K1 P1 for 3 rows. (You could go longer, but I thought it might impede movement.)
Cut yarn.
Attach Boa and work 1 row, then bind off loosely.
Repeat for 2nd sleeve.

Finishing
Weave in all ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter