If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Oh, Let's Just Go Nuts With The Double Entendre

Sigh. Long day. And you know what I like at the end of a long day.

That's right. A trip to Hobby Lobby. What were you thinking?

I spent some time there, touching yarn (and these... that's where the double entendre comes in. Stay with me, folks), looking for the ever-elusive, almost non-existent one skein of Rum Raisin Mosaic Twist that I need to finish my Brea. Then, I bought 2 skeins of this:


Yarn Bee Soft Illusion Super Bulky in Sassy.


Made a lovely drop stitch scarf that I believe will be mine, not M's... because I like it so much. And the matching hat, modelled by the always lovely, always unsmiling Notpatwoman.

***
Drop Stitch Scarf Pattern

One skein Yarn Bee Soft Illusion Super Bulky in your choice of color.
Gauge: not all that important, I used #15's

Cast on 9 stitches.
Row 1-6: Knit (Garter Stitch)
Row 7: K1, *YO, K1 Repeat from * to end
Row 8: Knit, dropping YOs
Row 9-10: Knit
Row 11: Repeat Row 7
Row 12: Knit

Repeat these 12 rows until desired length, ending with 6 knit rows.
Bind off.

***

Drop Stitch Hat Pattern

Less than One Skein Yarn Bee Soft Illusion Super Bulky in your choice of color.
Size 10 DPNs (or, for you not-loose-knitters, probably a #13.)

Cast on 54 stitches. Join.
Work K1P1 rib for 1 1/2 inches.

Row 1 & 3: Knit
Row 2 & 4: Purl
Row 5: K1 *YO, K1 Repeat from * to end
Row 6: Knit, dropping YOs

Repeat Rows 1-6 once. Then work in Stockingette Stitch until piece is about 5 inches long.
Next row: K 2 together across. (27 st.)
Next row: Knit
Next row: K2 together across, end K1 (14 st.)
Next row: K2 together across. (7 st)

Cut yarn and draw through remaining stiches. Securing on inside.

The pictures are not doing this yarn justice. You can barely see the drop stitches here. But, trust me, it looks really cool in person.

1 Comments:

Blogger wildtomato said...

Drop stitch scarves are my "go to" gift item when I'm short on time, yet still want to give a handmade gift. I've never tried a drop stitch hat - I'll have to give it a shot.

Can't wait to see your other cat in a beret!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter