If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Continuous Learning: Christmas Knitting

I used to think that, when the zombiepocalypse happens, I will make sure I stick with R. He has been preparing that particular crisis for years--food and water, shelter, tools, books. The man is an expert in zombie preparedness.

Then, I played attempted to play Left For Dead with him. What was that like? Well, let's put it this way... It's not mistitled when you're playing with R. If you're lucky, he will just leave you to fend for yourself against a horde of zombies. He has been known to shoot teammates in order to use them as a zombie shield.

Anyway, I knew R's Christmas scarf would have to be zombie-themed. And I really wanted it to be special, so I double knitted it.

This is a relatively new technique for me. I've done it before, but not on such a scale. And not with such a complex chart. So it really was a skill-sharpening project.

Basically, when you double knit, you are knitting both sides of the fabric at once by alternating colors and knit/purl stitches. Sounds easy, right?

Well, not really easy... It's not necessarily hard to do, either, but it's definitely something you have to pay attention to. Still, I did get faster at it as I went.


Really, the most difficult part of the process is finding a way to hold the yarn. It may be easier to do if you can knit continental style. Actually, I'm pretty sure it would be easier. Too bad I can't continental.

My zombies are lovingly graphed by T, and based on a couple of Googled zombie silhouettes. Made from Caron Simply Soft in Forest and Black.

Black zombies on green.


Green zombies on black.


Grr. Argh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maya D said...

Do you have the charts you used for your zombies? I got the OK to do a zombie baby blanket and those would be perfect! <3

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter