If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Trying To Ditch The Waterbed...

... but it just won't let me!

Okay, so stop laughing. Yes, I still have a waterbed. And yes, I know it's not the 80s any more. Listen, up until now I have loved my waterbed. It's warm in the winter, and I can sleep in any postion at all. Plus, the bed itself is just a beautiful monster of a thing with a double stack of drawers beneath, bookcases at the foot, cabinets at the head, and a wooden canopy overhead.

But my mattress... Recently--and by that I mean, with the onset of menopause--my mattress is no longer comfortable. In any way. I can't sleep comfortably in any position. Legs hurt. Back hurts. Hips hurt. Neck hurts. And I'm so hot. So so so hot. I have turned the heater down on this thing so far that I am in danger of giving T hypothermia and I am still too hot on this bed.

Plus, it's just impossible to find anything for it. Every so often the heater has to be replaced or we need new sheets. And then, fat lot of luck trying to find them. Last time I had to buy a heater, I found only one place that carried them. And that place is gone now.

So I have decided the time has come to get rid of the water mattress and sleep on a regular mattress. But draining the thing has proven itself to be more of a chore than I thought it would be. First of all, I no longer have the drain kit I need to drain it. No problem, I thought. I'll just jam a hose into the mattress and start a siphon, right?

Wrong. First of all, my hose is outside. No way am I putting my mouth on that thing to siphon anything out. (I have this image in my mind of sucking spiders out of the end of the hose. Shudder.) So I thought I'd fill the hose with water from the spigot outside the bedroom window and then just let gravity create the suction needed to drain it.

But sadly, the bushes are so overgrown that there is no way I can get to that spigot. I'm pretty sure there are spiders in those bushes.

So I have ordered a drain kit from online. And hopefully it gets here soon, because I have a mattress standing on its side in the hall. I might buy a new hose, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter